Skip to main content

HiFi Man Re0 Review - Great Details with Amazing Highs

This is the first hi-end IEM I have purchased. Though I was bit unsatisfied with it during the earlier days of my use, it became my most preferred listening devices after using it for some days. I will be considering this IEM as my reference to review any earphones.
Price: $79 in HeadDirect site. Approx. `4300 in India.
Packing and Build Quality
The build quality keeps changing from time, so there is no point in considering it unless you see the product before purchase. The look has also changed compared to 2010 model.  I got a plastic box along with the earphones which looks very cheap and cannot be used as a carrying case. The printed yellow cover paper makes it look like a cheap one.

Coming to the accessories, this piece came with two pair of white bi-flange ear tips and 4 pair of different sized normal black ear tips. A clip is also included in the pack along with 4 pair of filters.
Sound Quality
This is the most aspect to discuss when it comes to Re0. The sound quality completely depends on the fit you get with the ear tips. I tried listening with many ear tips I got with Re0, SoundMagic, Sony etc. I really liked the new bi-flange ear tips which is shown in the above figure. Many instruments sounded musical when I used this ear tips. This ear tips I got with the replacement piece when I sent my damaged earphone to Head Direct. Size wise it stays in the middle of the long bi-flange and the short bi-flange ear tips.


It is not recommended to use with low quality songs and cheap players as it sounds damn shit with these. Efficiency will be good in 320 kbps and flac tracks.

The prime factor about the Re0s is the clarity and the smoothness. It does amazing job in delivering details. The highs are very smooth and detailed. These have the best highs I’ve ever heard in an IEM and mids are realistic. I recommend you to hear flute sounds, violin, and guitar in these IEMs. It sounds just awesome.
The main flaw of this IEM is the lack of bass. It produces bass just moderate, so when you use it in noisy environment the bass impact will be almost zero but it sounds really great in calm environments like office. Re0 is not fun to listen as it lacks the warmth and sounds very analytical due to lack of bass. So not all genres of audience will like it.
One downside of Re0 is it suffers from micro-phonics. It can be reduced a bit by wearing it over-the-ear. The bass of the earphone can be definitely increased using higher bit rate tracks as I mentioned already in the article and using a good source which can boost bass (SRS WOW HD, Mach Bass in Cowon, Maga Bass in Sony etc.)

The soundstage is just average in size and depth, with great instrument separation and decent imaging.Isolation is also average.

Conclusion
Off the top, I would say that the RE0 is probably not going to match everyone’s listening preferences and it is definitely not for bass heads. It sounds great with good players like Cowon and Sandisk. The voice and instruments will be very clear while watching movies. The detail is one of the big pros of Re0. Though I have not tried it with amp, I can say that it will definitely perform better with amp.

Rating
Build Quality: 7/10
Highs: 9.5/10
Mids: 8/10
Lows: 7/10
Soundstage:7/10

Tips:
Re0 sounds great when used with quality music tracks like 320kbps or FLAC files. It sounds amazing when listing to classical and melodies.I have tried with different ear tips but many made them sound dark and muddy taking away the details except the bi-flange ear tips. For my ears the medium sized bi-flange ear tips sounded great making the sounds more musical. However, it depends purely on your tastes and interests.

I plugged  it to my Cowon C2 and Ipod Touch for testing. It sounded better with my Cowon C2.

If you like the review, please post your comments and likes on it. As this my 1st review, I may be missing some points. Hoping for more reviews in the near future.

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice review. Thank you. I got the complete information I needed. Planning to get one for myself. Can you please suggest me a good online store in India where I can get it.
Unknown said…
@Shilpa: Thanks for your comment. Earlier Lynx-India for supplying it in India, but unfortunately there are no suppliers at present. You can get directly from HeadDirect store by paying them through PayPal. Let me know if you need any help.
Vshnu said…
Good info. What are the other brands which has same clarity with sound? Please suggest.
Unknown said…
Vishnu, there are many IEMs in the market now a days that can perform better than Re0. The HeadDirect (now called as HiFi Man) other hi-end models like Re262, Re272, other Chinese brand Fisher Audio's models like Silver bullet, Tandem, SBA-03; Creative's Aurvana 3, JVC's HA-FXT90 and Yamaha EPH-100SL. But these are of high-price category. I can definitely say for 79 bucks Re0 rocks.

Fischer Audio produces great IEMs for the bucks but seems the build quality is average.
Anonymous said…
Much needed info.. Thanks for that.. Can u please provide your review on BOSE MIE2I in-ear headset. I am planning to buy that..
I need your suggestion on this. Thanks in advance.

Popular posts from this blog

Good Earphones for Under Rupees 1000

Any music will be good if you are enjoying it and a normal listener will never expect abundant details and not bothers about the minute sounds that are used in the tracks. An engaging sound which will not hurt ears even after long listening is the only thing many expect, when it comes to budget. Does a budget constraint make you to enjoy the music?  - Definitely yes. You can enjoy the music from a good earphone/headphone, if you are not used to hi-end models. In this article, I will provide some good earphones at affordable prices. As the Technology is increasing day by day, many new products are releasing in the market attracting with some unique specs. When I first knew about Apple, the Apple earphones were the best earphones and were very expensive. But, now the situations have changed and the apple earphones came down till 700. Still, they are not worth cent percent. Many brands are excelling in producing quality products for affordable prices. For example, when the computers were

Da5000 Pro - Quick Review

DA5000 Pro is a very popular multimedia speaker system and the fans call it as a mini home theater.  The package is really huge with 2 boxes. One box with a heavy 8” sub-woofer and the other box contains satellite speakers. The build quality is good with wooden housings and looks good. The DA5000 Pro is the next version of the DA5000. DA5000 has plastic housings for satellites and the pro version is released with MDF housings. In addition, DA5000 rare speakers are of 6W each where as the Pro has 12W each. It has a wireless remote which has many options to adjust the sound as per one’s personal tastes. There are separate options to adjust Bass, Treble and Mids.  Sound output of each satellite speakers can also be adjusted. Overall it has a very good build quality and decent looks. Sound Quality – let me preface by saying sweet sounding speakers for the budget with soft bass and good details. An inbuilt sound card is definitely not a good source to check the efficiency of the speaker

SoundMagic E30 review

E30, another emerging and top searched IEM from SoundMagic. E30 is launched as an upgrade to PL30 – a budget earphone with fun and spacious sounding, and also a preferred earphone by many customers even for now. The outlook and feel of E30 is similar to PL30 – an on-ear type earphone, designed for the use even while working out, playing and other activities. Accessories and Build Quality The package comes with a pair of plastic ear guides, a pair of double-flange tips, 3 pairs of single flanged other different sized silicon tips, a carrying bag and a shirt clip and  these accessories are sufficient and quite enough to fit for different ear holes. The build quality is good. As, I am currently using the third version of E30 which shows a good improvement in the build quality compared to the previous two versions I used (not sure about how many versions of E30 has been released). In the newer version, the wire looks like a rope where two wires are twisted to combine the